During one of my pre-holiday trips to Joann's, I stumbled upon a selection of Clover's Pom Pom Makers. Now, you should understand that my pre-holiday trips to Joann's are sad, depressing affairs. There's only one store in Chicago, and it is overrun with every single crafty person in Chicago, from crazy bargain scrap-bookers to intense home-sewists. Shopping there is not the peaceful retreat it was in the suburbs of Michigan. So I admit - I've made a few escapist purchases, and these pom pom makers fall into that category.
Best. escapist. purchase. ever.
I used every single yard of "scrap yarn" and every ball of fuzzy yarn in my stash and created fun holiday packaging. I made approximately three thousand pom poms in 2 hours!
Katie's tips for making excellent pom poms, while using up ugly stash yarn:
1. This is the time to use fun fur. It makes amazing pom poms.
2. If you have weird variegated yarns to use up, mix them with a coordinating solid yarn. This technique created this muppet pom pom:
3. Mix different weights of yarn, who cares!
4. Use a lot of yarn for a nice, full pom pom.
5. Always dress your bunnies in pom poms: