Sunday, September 16, 2012

About the knit shorts...

Last week I released my newest Holla Knits pattern, and was reminded just how big the internet is, and how much we can learn from each other.

While an "Irish Car Bomb," is just a drink to Americans, it's a very real and recent horror for the British and Irish. I named my pattern "Irish Cable Bomb," thinking it was a clever way to play on several meanings at once - the design incorporates Celtic cables and is an edgy little pair of shorts, and I borrowed the structure of the drink name. Understandably, people who lived through The Troubles in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, and the UK took offense.

I apologize wholeheartedly for any harm or offense I may have caused with this knitting pattern.

I have changed the name to "Bombshell Shorts," to capture the original intent of my pattern name. I was wrong, and I completely understand if you choose to not support my work in the future, or just don't like me very much right now.

After listening to victims sharing their stories and educating me on something that I, as an American under 30, had learned almost nothing about, I want to share a few links:

BBC History's Coverage of The Troubles
An Interactive Lesson about The Troubles
Foundation for Peace - Donate to help victims of The Troubles