Thursday, September 20, 2012

Recently Read: Daring Greatly by Brene Brown

Ok, I’ll admit it: Sometimes I sign up for these book reviews before I actually read through the book summary. The sign up sheets fill up so fast! And I love reading and doing reviews! 



This book - Daring Greatly by Brene Brown - was completely unexpected. After I realized what I had signed up for, a “self-help,” type book, I was dreading the reading. I’m not really a self help-y person. 

But Daring Greatly is about so much more than self-help. Brown writes a funny, insightful manual on shame and vulnerability, and offers personal stories and tips on how to deal with your own shame and build personal relationships by being vulnerable. I was riveted from the first chapter. 

Her work is profound for everyone, but I found many of the examples in the book apply directly to confidence in art and specifically, acting. Sharing yourself with another person is difficult enough in everyday life - sharing yourself at an audition is a whole other ball of wax. Try being vulnerable when everyone else in the room is blonder, skinnier, and has a longer resume!

Brown offers a few specific examples in the book, but one of her personal mantras stuck out to me. I immediately wrote it on a post it note and have been carrying it around in my planner. “Give me the courage to show up and let myself be seen.” Sounds like a good plan to me. 

This review is compensated as part of Blogher Book Reviews, but all opinions expressed are my own. I really do think this book is fabulous, and have already recommended it to friends! 

4 comments :

  1. I love that mantra! Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually reading this book right now! I was going to ask you if you'd read it so we could talk about it and THEN I saw your review. Hilarious. We should discuss, I'm only halfway but its sort of blowing my mind.

    Mel P

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy! Thank you, and look for your response here!