Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Project! Hamburger Socks - Rye Light in Felici Yarn


Pattern: Rye Light from Tin Can Knits. I've knit this pattern a few times in the baby size, but this is the first time I've knit it for myself! Or any other adult, for that matter! I love the style of this pattern and it's part of a collection of free, simple patterns that are awesome. I've also knit Rye in worsted weight and the Barley hat in both weights. All are very cute and well written, great for beginners. 

Materials: Felici Sock Yarn in a magical HAMBURGER colorway! I was on a serious yarn diet at the beginning of 2019, but when I saw this yarn, I knew I needed it. 

Cost: Felici runs about $7 a skein and I got two, so we'll say $18 with shipping. 

Timeline: Although I bought this yarn in 2019, I hemmed and hawed about what sock pattern to use. Geeze, let this be the year I get over that "special stash" anxiety!! I cast on in August and started knitting a size medium. I got through the heel and they were just waaayy too big. I finally bit the bullet and ripped out the whole project and started again, finishing around November 17th. Sometimes you just gotta let a project chill if you're not feeling it, and with this project, it helped to put it down for a bit. 

Sizing, mods, changes and notes on fitting: I went down a size from what I initially though I wanted. In retrospect, I would modify the heel to use my favorite slip stitch heel, not the one as written. I usually prefer to knit socks toe-up, and while it was nice to try a new pattern... I would still rather have a different heel and toe-up. 

I also like to knit socks using two-at-a-time magic loop. Because the second sock syndrome is real over here, and once my second sock came out a full size different than the first one.

Feelings about this project: I still love this yarn! I want everything in this yarn! It's perfect! I should maaaybe do a capsule wardrobe that is entirely in these hamburger colors?!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! Thank you, and look for your response here!