navigation bar

about shop tutorials flickr twitter

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Crochet Motif Item Flower Tote - Finally Completed!

I finally finished this. Whew.
I started this bag last summer. The pattern is from my favorite Japenese crochet book, "Crochet Motif Item." It's the same book I took the hexagon pattern from. I'm sure you are thinking - why would you ever crochet this?! Look at all those ends to weave in!
And I will admit, the finishing of the crochet took a really long time. There is a reason that I am the only person on Ravelry to have attempted this pattern. But that is not why this project languished on my sewing table - unfinished - for so long.

I could not figure out what to do for handles. I knew I did not want to make crochet handles (they stretch out), but I didn't know what I wanted to do. I also wanted to line it, as a bag with a bunch of holes in it is kinda useless.

A few weeks ago I read this post over at the Purl Bee and I knew I had my solution. Use webbing for the handles! I picked some up at JoAnn's that matched the center color of the flower, and I was in business.

Check out this lining:
First time I used one of those magnetic closures!
I like a lot of pockets inside, so I added one big pocked made out of an embroidered piece (I have a few laying around...) and two smaller pockets for my phones. Yes, I have two - one is mine, one is for work.
All in all I could not be happier. Check it off the list!


  1. This is the bag that made me want to start crocheting! Loving the lining.

  2. Your bag looks really great!

    captcha word: belikey (as in me want to belikey Katie creative and cool)

  3. It's beautiful! Congratulations on finishing it!

  4. i like the pocket. you should put the bunny in it.

  5. Perfect..
    I love the color, motif and lining...

  6. I'm so glad you gave it a go. You've done a great job. Beautiful colours.


Comments make me happy! Thank you, and look for your response here!