Thursday, June 10, 2010

Crochet Motif Item Flower Tote - Finally Completed!

I finally finished this. Whew.
I started this bag last summer. The pattern is from my favorite Japenese crochet book, "Crochet Motif Item." It's the same book I took the hexagon pattern from. I'm sure you are thinking - why would you ever crochet this?! Look at all those ends to weave in!
And I will admit, the finishing of the crochet took a really long time. There is a reason that I am the only person on Ravelry to have attempted this pattern. But that is not why this project languished on my sewing table - unfinished - for so long.

I could not figure out what to do for handles. I knew I did not want to make crochet handles (they stretch out), but I didn't know what I wanted to do. I also wanted to line it, as a bag with a bunch of holes in it is kinda useless.

A few weeks ago I read this post over at the Purl Bee and I knew I had my solution. Use webbing for the handles! I picked some up at JoAnn's that matched the center color of the flower, and I was in business.

Check out this lining:
First time I used one of those magnetic closures!
I like a lot of pockets inside, so I added one big pocked made out of an embroidered piece (I have a few laying around...) and two smaller pockets for my phones. Yes, I have two - one is mine, one is for work.
All in all I could not be happier. Check it off the list!

10 comments :

  1. This is the bag that made me want to start crocheting! Loving the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag looks really great!


    captcha word: belikey (as in me want to belikey Katie creative and cool)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! Congratulations on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the pocket. you should put the bunny in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect..
    I love the color, motif and lining...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you gave it a go. You've done a great job. Beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy! Thank you, and look for your response here!