Thursday, November 18, 2010

It's the Holiday Season!

First and foremost, I want to show you the ornaments I've been sewing for local shops. My very favorite ornament is the white heart with the blue and red stitching. After a little brainstorming session with my bff, I've come up with 5 or 6 other designs that I plan to make up in the next day or two.

Holiday Ornaments!

I'm not sure why I'm drawn to felt again and again. I think it was one of the very first materials I ever worked with around age 8. Although I've explored a lot of other fabrics and fibers and techniques - it usually comes back to this. And things like this are what people respond to, which has always surprised me. Maybe it's the simplicity? I'm not sure, but I'm happy to keep at it.

Secondly - I wanted to confess that it's always been hard for me to focus on just one art. I have always wanted to do it all, and because of this sometimes I think I've missed out on perfecting a skill. In the past week I've made about 50 felt things - ornaments, brooches, magnets - and it's been interesting. Interesting and exhausting. I'm not used to working like this and it's wearing me down. But it's also given me a new perspective, which I think is a good thing. 

Thirdly - I'm going to do a big holiday Etsy update next week in time for ye olde Black Friday, in which these felt things will be included, as well as my tote bags. December, here we come!

1 comment :

  1. shout out! those all look so great, Katie! can't wait to buy them all up on Etsy! Heheh

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy! Thank you, and look for your response here!