Monday, January 10, 2011

two little mermaidens

About a week before Christmas I decided that the matching mittens were not enough of a present for my two nieces. They needed dolls. Chalk it up to pre-Christmas insanity.

Little Mermaids

I've been thinking about making softies all year, and dabbled a little with a few puppets. I used the lovely (and free!) Mermaiden pattern from Wee Wonderfuls. The construction was really interesting - you sew the fabric pieces together before cutting them out, and then finish the whole thing by hand - and I thought they turned out quite cute. I had a bit of a problem with the green maid's face (a bit squashy), but the brown maid came out much more even. 

Bouffant Mermaid!

I really love her and think her hair looks like Loretta Lynn with a huge bouffant! I like to imagine that instead of singing like Ariel under the sea, she's singing with a twang!

6 comments :

  1. I recognize the green mermaid's tale! That is the same fabric as my Princess Zoe dress. Most comfortable costume EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, how adorable!! That's such a cute and thoughtful gift. I bet they loved them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! I love the octopus pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are amazing!!! your nieces will be soo thrilled! What and awesome pattern to get for free

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy! Thank you, and look for your response here!