Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Crochet Granny Square Christmas Stockings

Granny Square Stocking

This past weekend I put the finishing touches on a pair of crochet granny square Christmas stockings

I was inspired by this post from Danielle of Thompson Family-Life, and then took to Ravelry to look for a pattern. Since their search function is magic, I found this vintage pattern in no time. 

closeup on the pattern modification
the original pattern laid on my giant motif


I wanted a multi-colored stocking so I charted out an idea for six colors. After crocheting up one motif using the original pattern, I thought it was too small, and subbed a double crochet stitch for the half double stitch. I need a big stocking!

I used a size H crochet hook and two types of roving yarn - Caron's Sheep(ish) and Stitch Nation's Full O' Sheep, joined the motifs as I went (as opposed to sewing them together) and the stockings turned out perfectly.

stockings, hanging by the... tv...

The stockings are hanging on the bookcase, ready to be filled. Chris and I decided that this year, instead of buying expensive presents, we would simply fill each other's stocking with small presents, and open them together on the 23rd before we go home to Michigan. I'm excited to watch our stockings fill up over the next few days!

14 comments :

  1. CUTE! I love them. They turned out spectacular and I NEED THEM NOW TOO! ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the colors! They're really awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stockings hung with care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love those. How did you do your join-as-you-go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to know how your short row sweater is coming! As soon as you tweeted about the yarn, I had to check it out too. Is the yarn nice, soft?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE!!! I must make them. Do you recall what the names of the colors were? I am checking both brands now but love them so much I don't want to pick the wrong colors from online!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE!!! I must make them! I am looking online to order the correct yarn colors and wasn't sure if you remembered the name of the colors you used from each vendor. I am ordering offline and didn't want to order the wrong ones and I love yours so much I thought you may still have extra laying around to look at.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very stunning...love them!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy! Thank you, and look for your response here!