Monday, June 11, 2012

WORK + SHELTER tea-dyed yarn!



workshelter_flower_logo-2

Today I am excited to announce the launch of a project I've been working on for awhile now: 


W+S Yarns

A few weeks ago I gave you a sneak peek of some yarn I had dyed using teas from India as part of the WORK + SHELTER project, and this lovely yarn is now for up for sale

W+S is an awesome organization started by Theresa VanderMeer, a friend of Allyson Dykhuizen's. A few months ago, Allyson &Theresa approached me about joining their project, and I've been tea-dying yarn ever since. 

W+S Swatch


According to Theresa:

"WORK+SHELTER creates safe spaces across India where women in need can come to live and work. W+S encourages self-reliance amongst its female stakeholders by promoting hands-on training and capacity building, emphasizing the creation of naturally dyed fibers and hand-crafted knitwear."

Read more about it here

threeyarns

After a few experiments with Indian teas, I developed three lovely colors of fingering weight, 100% wool yarn. From left to right, they are Darjeeling (a warm, variegated brown), Lemon Grass (a cool, greenish brown) and Chamomile (a warm light yellow). Each was hand dyed using its namesake tea, and each skein is unique. They are now available in the W+S etsy shop, and the profits go to the W+S shelter.

*To celebrate our launch, we are giving away a free W+S pattern, designed by Allyson Dykhuizen, with every purchase made today. Just enter the code LAUNCHMONDAY in the Notes to Seller box, along with the name of the pattern of your choice, and your free pattern will be emailed to you in PDF form within 24 hours. The patterns are also for sale in the W+S etsy shop. If you buy two skeins, you get two patterns; three skeins, three patterns! But only for today, so happy Monday!*

4 comments :

  1. So cool! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I have very fond memories of my mom using coffee and tea to dye fabric when I was a child. Love seeing the same techniques applied to yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a post planned on doing this yourself at home!

      Delete

Comments make me happy! Thank you, and look for your response here!